Mom saw the surgeon today. We've been holding our breath waiting for this day because she was supposed to get a lung function test to see whether she had improved enough for surgery...and I've been a basket case wondering when we can go ahead with the wedding and if we could get it over with before her surgery. Anyway, he took one look at her and told her he wasn't doing the lung function test yet. Her lungs are just not doing as well as he wanted them to at this point. But he was still certain that he could operate on her.
I met with him privately and asked if he could just give me some kind of idea of when she would have her surgery. He looked at me and said, "You're getting married aren't you?". I told him that I was and he asked if my plans had changed because of all this. I told him, "WELL, YEAH. WHAT DO YOU THINK??" No, no, I didn't say that. I did tell him that we had canceled our cruise, postponed the wedding, etc. So we sat down with a calendar and he said to go ahead with our original wedding plans for May 30th...honeymoon the first week of June...then Mom can have surgery the 2nd week of June. This way, Mom can be happy and healthy at my wedding. She will also get a couple more weeks of respiratory therapy (which he was going to recommend anyway).
I'm relieved that we can go through with the wedding like we originally planned with Mom there...but I'm scared to death for her. He reminded her today that her chances are "iffy" at best. Surgery is just the first step in whatever process she has to go through. All any of us can do is pray.