Friday, April 10, 2009

Now What...

The surgeon won't operate on my mom. She was given an ultrasound and breathing test today to make sure she was strong enough to go through surgery. She isn't. The pulmonologist told her that he didn't think she would ever breathe on her own if they went through with the surgery. She would never come off the ventilator.

So here we are...no one has given her any alternatives to surgery. My mother wants to fight this, but no one is telling her how. I'm really angry with her doctors...these men walk in and announce something awful, then leave the room and we never see them again. The only person who seems concerned is her afternoon shift nurse, a really sweet woman who tries to answer all our questions.

This time last week, we thought Mom was fine...or as fine as she has been since the emphysema. She went to the hospital with bronchitis...and ended up with cancer. I'm in shock and exhausted. My sister and I haven't slept well in a week. And I get married in 7 weeks. We already know we're canceling the cruise, and I'm not sure about the wedding at this point either. It all depends on what (if any) options the doctors give us.

4 comments:

Sultan said...

Ugh. That is truly awful.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kelly. I'm so, so sorry. Is there another hospital close by, maybe something like MD Anderson? Or the Mayo Clinic? There HAS to be SOMETHING they can do!!!??!!

You're in my prayers.

Becca said...

I would demand to see the hospital administrator, that is no way to treat a patient. She has to have rights and other options for treatment. I would start finding out who that chain of command is. What can I do to help? Email me the hospital and I will start finding the names for you. This is ridiculous!!!

Maria said...

Kelly, I am so sorry. Is there anything I can do?

Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.